Welcome Blog

2/5 Welcome Blog - Choosing a Minor

Are you struggling to find something to study on top of architecture?

Architectural Studies

Let’s begin with looking at your degree over the course of the program.

You have a studio course every term, this may seem like just one class(3cr) but it is rated as 2 courses (6cr). The dark bubbles represent a design theory course, the medium bubbles represent a technology course and the light bubbles represent a history course. Now your task is to fill in the green bubbles. You can decide to do electives in multiple subject areas or you can decide to do a minor in one subject area. Many upper year courses require prerequisites so it can be harder to choose random courses that simply fit into your schedule.

  • Are you studying Architecture in French?

  • Are you interested in other languages (indigenous languages incl.)?

List of Minors available with your B.A.S : 

  • Minor in ancient studies
  • Minor in ancient studies
  • Minor in business administration
  • Minor in finance
  • Minor in communication studies 
  • Minor in computer science
  • Minor in game design
  • Minor in criminology
  • Minor in economics 
  • Minor in rhetoric and media studies (erms) 
  • Minor in environmental studies
  • Minor in motion picture arts
  • Minor in law and justice
  • Minor in geography
  • Minor in history
  • Minor in indigenous studies
  • Minor in indigenous environmental studies
  • Minor in philosophy
  • Minor in political science
  • Minor in labour studies (24 cr)
  • Minor in sociology
  • Minor in psychology
  • Minor in italian language and culture
  • Minor in spanish language and culture
  • Minor in french as a second language



Vous êtes intérressé par le billinguisme?


Certificate of Bilingualism

A recognized acknowledgment of bilingual (English & French) competency that is sought after by the province’s employers.

Transition period

There will be a three-year transition period during which currently enrolled students will choose when they take the necessary exams for the Certificate of Bilingualism.


 New Certificate of Bilingualism (Sudbury campus model)

  1. The student must earn at least 15 credits in courses offered in the English or French language, whichever is not the language of study. To qualify for the certificate, the student must achieve a passing grade in these electives taken in the second language. A grade of 75% or more will be recognized with a distinction of excellence on the Certificate of Bilingualism.

  2. When the student meets the above-mentioned requirements, he/she will be awarded the Certificate of Bilingualism.

  3. The student’s diploma will bear a special mention acknowledging achievement of the Certificate of Bilingualism.


For more information or to register for the Certificate of Bilingualism, contact: 705-673-6565 or email us at certificate@laurentian.ca


Laurentian University offer Certificate of Basic Multilingual Competence (24 credits)

To obtain the certificate, students must successfully complete, with a minimum overall average of 70%, either 12 credits taught in the French language for anglophone students or 12 credits taught in the English language for francophone students , excluding language courses (e.g., ENGL 1540, 1550, 1551,1552, FREN language courses, LANG courses) and 12 credits from one of the groups below:

    ESPA 2005N and ESPA 3005N

    ITAL 2005N and ITAL 3005N

    INDG 2516E/2517E and INDG 3316E/3516E

    INDG 2035E and INDG 3025E


Need Help with WebAdvisor?

3/5 Welcome Blog - Choosing a place to live

Looking for a Place to Live, from Apartments on and off campus.

Living at Laurentian University Residences and Federated University Residences are fantastic because you get to enjoy all the benefits of living away from home without the stress of living on your own.

A Residence life experience will let you meet other first year students outside of your (soon to be) architecture family. On campus keeps you in the know of important fun activities happening all over campus from Concerts and intramurals to residence parties and games.

Living on Res. puts you minuets from your elective classes which occur 2 – 4x a week as well as walking distance from all you can eat food at the great hall and amazing student services from health care to security.

Residence Options

Single Student Residence (SSR)

This is our largest residence on campus, housing 387 students in single and double rooms, apartment style.

  • 2 singles, 2 Doubles, A kitchenette and living room, 2 toilets, 1 shower and a storage room

  • Double door System, Keys to your apartment and bedroom for better privacy and security.

University College (UC)

This is a dormitory style, 240 persons building that houses students in single and double rooms.

  • Doubles and Singles, a common kitchenette, a common living room, common washroom 4 stalls and 4 showers.

  • Open concept of a dormitory makes it easier to get to know everyone on your floor and neighbouring floors.


Thorneloe Living

Thorneloe living is quite cozy. Everyone there is like a family and always have each others backs! The residence has about 50 single rooms, 2 common bathrooms per floor and a common space to chill, play pool, air hockey and watch TV. The best part is the newly renovated kitchen on each floor which is said to have the best kitchen out of all the residences.


Huntington Residence

Huntington specializes in Gerontology and Communication studies, but the residence is open to all students. It is plit into 4 sections, each housing about 24 female and 24 male students on opposite sides of the floor. Rooms are dorm style so there is a common kitchen and lounge area for students to watch TV. For each year you live in Huntington you're given a point, these points can be combined with your friends to get larger rooms or to get your own room in the end of year room draw. If you live in Huntington once, you're guaranteed residence in Huntington the following year

Living Downtown on Architecture Campus

After the fun of first year its exciting to move closer to studio because you now that’s where the real party is happening. Being in walking distance to the school allows you to stay at studio longer without the hassle of Sudbury commuting on evenings and weekends. A grocery store is within 500m of the school as well as Rexall and Shoppers for quick milk runs. When you don’t want to cook all the best restaurants are located downtown as well all the best bars are located right here as well.


LASA has decided to provide a preliminary list of popular places where students are living in the downtown Sudbury & surroundings.