2/5 Welcome Blog - Choosing a Minor

Are you struggling to find something to study on top of architecture?

Architectural Studies

Let’s begin with looking at your degree over the course of the program.

You have a studio course every term, this may seem like just one class(3cr) but it is rated as 2 courses (6cr). The dark bubbles represent a design theory course, the medium bubbles represent a technology course and the light bubbles represent a history course. Now your task is to fill in the green bubbles. You can decide to do electives in multiple subject areas or you can decide to do a minor in one subject area. Many upper year courses require prerequisites so it can be harder to choose random courses that simply fit into your schedule.

  • Are you studying Architecture in French?

  • Are you interested in other languages (indigenous languages incl.)?

List of Minors available with your B.A.S : 

  • Minor in ancient studies
  • Minor in ancient studies
  • Minor in business administration
  • Minor in finance
  • Minor in communication studies 
  • Minor in computer science
  • Minor in game design
  • Minor in criminology
  • Minor in economics 
  • Minor in rhetoric and media studies (erms) 
  • Minor in environmental studies
  • Minor in motion picture arts
  • Minor in law and justice
  • Minor in geography
  • Minor in history
  • Minor in indigenous studies
  • Minor in indigenous environmental studies
  • Minor in philosophy
  • Minor in political science
  • Minor in labour studies (24 cr)
  • Minor in sociology
  • Minor in psychology
  • Minor in italian language and culture
  • Minor in spanish language and culture
  • Minor in french as a second language



Vous êtes intérressé par le billinguisme?


Certificate of Bilingualism

A recognized acknowledgment of bilingual (English & French) competency that is sought after by the province’s employers.

Transition period

There will be a three-year transition period during which currently enrolled students will choose when they take the necessary exams for the Certificate of Bilingualism.


 New Certificate of Bilingualism (Sudbury campus model)

  1. The student must earn at least 15 credits in courses offered in the English or French language, whichever is not the language of study. To qualify for the certificate, the student must achieve a passing grade in these electives taken in the second language. A grade of 75% or more will be recognized with a distinction of excellence on the Certificate of Bilingualism.

  2. When the student meets the above-mentioned requirements, he/she will be awarded the Certificate of Bilingualism.

  3. The student’s diploma will bear a special mention acknowledging achievement of the Certificate of Bilingualism.


For more information or to register for the Certificate of Bilingualism, contact: 705-673-6565 or email us at certificate@laurentian.ca


Laurentian University offer Certificate of Basic Multilingual Competence (24 credits)

To obtain the certificate, students must successfully complete, with a minimum overall average of 70%, either 12 credits taught in the French language for anglophone students or 12 credits taught in the English language for francophone students , excluding language courses (e.g., ENGL 1540, 1550, 1551,1552, FREN language courses, LANG courses) and 12 credits from one of the groups below:

    ESPA 2005N and ESPA 3005N

    ITAL 2005N and ITAL 3005N

    INDG 2516E/2517E and INDG 3316E/3516E

    INDG 2035E and INDG 3025E


Need Help with WebAdvisor?